Some of you have asked what Labour will do to help tenants, particularly those who try to take on rogue landlords who don’t look after their properties or charge unfair fees. You may have seen me on TV taking on one of these landlords recently on BBC Sunday Politics West. So here’s more information about what we would do:
We support proposals to end retaliatory (revenge) eviction and have been calling for action. We tabled amendments to Government Bills to make it happen. The Government have listened and have now brought forward an amendment on retaliatory eviction.
We propose longer tenancies (which would also end revenge eviction), a ceiling on rent rises and a ban on letting agent fees for tenants.
Labour is the only party to have set out plans to get a fairer deal for renters. Our plans are to:
- Give security and peace of mind by legislating for 3-year tenancies giving renters a stable home and landlords the confidence to invest.
- End excessive rent increases by putting a ceiling on rent increases during the new 3-year tenancies.
- Ban rip-off letting agent fees for tenants by legislating to stop letting agents charging fees to tenants.
- Drive up standards by introducing a national register of landlords and making it easier for local authorities to introduce licensing schemes.
- Bring an end to cold homes by setting a new target to upgrade the energy efficiency of properties in the private rented sector.