Yesterday (Tuesday) the police reported that a woman died from serious stab injuries in the early hours of that morning, in Ludlow Close in St Paul’s, Bristol.

My first thoughts are of the woman, and of her family and friends, and how they must be feeling. I send them my condolences and sympathies for this dreadful incident.

Avon and Somerset Police launched a murder investigation and have briefed me by phone regularly.

Two people have been arrested and, at the time of writing, neither has been charged.

The police have been open with the public about their prior involvement in this case. They have referred this incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), which is standard procedure in such circumstances.

The IPCC will be viewing the footage from the body-worn cameras (BWC) which cover all the interactions between the police and the individuals involved. They will then decide if an independent investigation is needed.

I am pleased that the public have responded very positively to this horrific incident. I urge anyone with any information to come forward and contact the police on 101 and quote log number 5217191693.

Please do not make any public allegations, including on social media, or comment on the specific allegations, as this may jeopardise a future prosecution.

Avon and Somerset Police will post any updates about the murder investigation on their website.


An update from Avon and Somerset Police (24/08/17)

A 27-year-old woman who died following an incident in the St Paul’s area of Bristol has been formally identified.

Asiyah Harris died at a property in Ludlow Close in the early hours of Monday (21 August).

A forensic post-mortem examination confirmed the cause of death as stab injuries.

Senior Investigating Officer Det Ch Insp Gary Haskins said: “We’re continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding Asiyah’s death and our thoughts are very much with her family at this distressing time.

“They are being fully supported by a trained family liaison officer who will keep them updated on the progress of our investigation.

“We understand this is also a concerning time for the local community so neighbourhood officers will continue to provide reassurance through additional patrols over the coming days.

“A 37-year-old man remains in custody for questioning after we successfully obtained a warrant of further detention. A 27-year-old woman has been released under investigation.

“If you have any information about this incident and haven’t yet spoken to us, please call 101 and give the call handler the reference number 5217191693.”

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search